Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:56:59 -0500

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:19:00 +0200 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

DK> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think you've missed the difference between a hidden file anywhere in
>> the directory tree and in a well-known location.

DK> In a well-known location there is no reason to hide files, since the
DK> well-known location need not hold other files.

~/.profile is hidden and well-known for example.  The reason to hide it
(visual decluttering, exclusion from '*' in shell operations) is
separate from the reason to have it in a well-known location (standard
configuration interface through a specific filename).

DK> So no, I am not missing anything, and it is not polite of you to
DK> presume that anybody not agreeing with you must be stupid.

I meant that you had missed distinguishing between a hidden file
anywhere and in a well-known location *in your post*.  Sometimes I write
English a little bit differently from native speakers since it's my
fourth language; sorry if that sounded offensive to you.

Ted