Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

   ... I've never heard of anyone consulting Emacs docstrings while
   driving.

Lack of imagination.  You are precluding the possibility that in 23
years -- a duration that GNU Emacs has already existed -- sphinx or
another voice-to-text program will become sufficiently good.  A good
voice-to-text program enables anyone driving a car (presuming that
cars are still used) to interact with Emacs and seek a docstring.

We have docstrings in GNU Emacs now because they became possible long
ago.

I am not against images as such.  Most of the time most people will
look at their interface.  They will not be situationally or
permanently blind.  However, hand held mobile telephones have the
hardware to run Emacspeak.

Adding images to documentation strings work fails when many
programmers resist writing.  Primarily, people who write text more
than code desire to provide the alternatives to images.

I am not saying that programmers will not write alternatives; I am
saying that their work load is already high.

   I'm much more worried about people trying to watch movies ...

That is reasonable for the present.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden