Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:03:11 -0700 (PDT)

> I would really dislike such files. Imagine every editor has a
> project-specific
> configuration file in the project root and you have 10 hackers working on
> this
> project with 10 different editors.

Surely a project with 10 hackers has much more than 10 files, so that
adding one project-settings file per editor does not dwarf the real work
of the project?  I don't imagine that the settings files would need to be
synchronized or anything, since the different editors will have very
different support for the preferences of the project.

> And I would dislike to have a limited set of configuration options within
> such
> a file.

Having a (safe) local variable `project-settings-library' which would be
loaded (with confirmation) by M-x load-project-settings ("load" in its
name to emphasize that it's executing real, unconstrained Lisp) would be
an easy way to allow other configuration in a per-project way with
reasonable security; just put a setting for that variable in the
variables-only project file we're discussing now.  The only trick would be
that the filename would need to be absolute if it were specified for any
non-trivial directory tree, since one cannot run `expand-file-name' in a
local variable setting.

Davis

shipping.