Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:37:00 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:25:41 +0900
>
> But, then, it seems that the design is broken (or got broken
> because of introduction of multibyte characters).

It quite possibly is.  disp-table.el was introduced before multibyte
characters, and most commands in it should not be used in multibyte
buffers, as they assume unibyte characters.

We know for a long time that glyph codes and glyph tables should be
redesigned.  Specifying a face by high-order bits of a character code
is an ugly kludge.