Re: mouse-autoselect-window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:00:31 +0300

> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 01:46:43 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> If you use a focus follows mouse policy on Windows and set
> focus-follows-mouse to nil, what happens when you start an ediff
> session then move the mouse slightly (keeping it over the main
> frame)?

(You need to set ediff-grab-mouse to nil as well, without it Ediff
always moves the mouse pointer to the Ediff control frame, which I
think defeats the test you had in mind.)

When I set both focus-follows-mouse and ediff-grab-mouse to nil,
starting an Ediff session switches the focus to the Ediff control
frame, but the mouse pointer stays in the main frame.  Moving the
mouse pointer doesn't change the focus; only if I cross the frame's
boundary the focus switches to another frame.

My conclusion is that on Windows, the "focus follows mouse" policy
(btw, it's called "active window tracking" in MS-Windows parlance) is
triggered only when mouse enters/exits a frame, not when mouse moves.