Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 03:00:59 -0400

      > If there is a chance that the terminal won't respond at all,
      > the timer would enable Enacs to avoid hanging.  Is that the
      > reason for the timer?

    The reason for the timer is to avoid hanging.

In what cases would it hang?  Are these old xterm versions?

      > What is the purpose of making this query in the first place?

    The query is used to find out the version of xterm being used.

    If we just send the escape sequence to enable modifyOtherKeys on a
    terminal that does not support it, the escape sequence will appear as
    junk on the screen.

Emacs clears the screen at startup.  Maybe it is ok if that happens
on old versions of xterm, until they are replaced.