Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections

From: Vincent Lefevre
Subject: Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:32:44 +0200

On 2007-09-08 01:35:14 -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <address@hidden> writes:
>   > Why not let the user configure his xterm the way he likes?
>
> You are missing the point, this is done because we would like the users
> to transparently take advantage of this feature without having to
> configure anything.

But what about users who are used to the current configuration
or have their own configuration? If this feature is so important
to have it without configuring anything, then why doesn't xterm
enable it by default?

>   > If you enable modifyOtherKeys, won't the configuration change
>   > for other applications running in xterm?
>
> Emacs restores the setting on suspend and quit.

This is not sufficient:
  * Emacs won't be able to do anything for screen users, after
    detaching a session running Emacs or after switching the
    screen window.
  * If Emacs crashes (this hasn't happened yet with Emacs22,
    though), the configuration will not be restored.
  * In case of a SSH or dialup connection, if the connection closes
    because of some network problem (this occurs quite frequently),
    the configuration will not be restored either.

>   > What if the user has set up VT100 translations corresponding
>   > to C-. C-, and so on?
>
> I am not sure what is your point here.

The user can bind some key sequences (in general, ones that are not
used in the terminal itself) to some xterm functions (e.g. to do
scrolling, paste strings and so on). This is done with the VT100
translations resource. What is the effect of modifyOtherKeys on
these bindings? (I don't have a xterm here to try...)

--
Vincent Lefèvre <address@hidden> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>