New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:56:07 +0200

Hi *,

basically I like the idea of a configurable start-up behavior.  But
the current implementation is IMNSHO very flawed:

- First and most annoying: starting Emacs with an file to visit as
  argument no longer works as expected.  Without doing any configuration
  you always get the new splash screen and of cause C-l or starting
  editing doesn't make it go away.  You can switch to the buffer with
  the file using C-x C-b, but the splash screen doesn't tell you that.

I would like to have the old behavior back:  if a file name was given
on the command line the user definitely wants to edit that file, and
so any editing/movement/redraw command should switch to that files
buffer immediately.  In case people don't agree on that, the splash
screen should at least mention how to enter the buffer.

- Second, and maybe even worse: None of the settings for
  initial-buffer-choice restores the old behavior.  One might expect,
  that setting initial-buffer-choice to t (open *scratch* buffer)
  would be the right choice, but it isn't.  If set that way, the
  annoying behavior described above stays with the only differences,
  that the *scratch* buffer is opened and stays, even if a file to
  edit was given on start-up.

One would expect that at least one value of initial-buffer-choice
would restore the old behavior, which many of use are used to and
which at least me likes best: open *scratch* as default but open the
buffer(s) for the given files from the command line if there were
any.

The only working solution is to set inhibit-splash-screen to t
and leave initial-buffer-choice nil -- which is a pity as the new
possibility of customizing the default behavior is lost.

- Third, as setting inhibit-splash-screen is the only (and as far as I
  can see not ell documented) way to get back the old behavior, it is
  a (minor) annoyance that inhibit-splash-screen not only turns of the
  splash screen, but the initial message in the *scratch* buffer too.
  Actually I never understood why this two things are configured by
  only one variable.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
    "Liebet eure Feinde, vielleicht schadet das ihrem Ruf"