Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:07:02 -0400

    I would like to have the old behavior back:  if a file name was given
    on the command line the user definitely wants to edit that file, and
    so any editing/movement/redraw command should switch to that files
    buffer immediately.

I changed this because I want beginners to see the splash screen,
and beginners often have the habit of passing a file name.

      In case people don't agree on that, the splash
    screen should at least mention how to enter the buffer.

That is a good point.  We should make this easier.  Maybe typing SPC
on the splash screen should bury or kill it.  Also, we should say how
to do this, if we can fit it in.

    - Second, and maybe even worse: None of the settings for
      initial-buffer-choice restores the old behavior.

Given that we have another variable to do that,
who cares whether this variable can do that?
Why do you care?

    - Third, as setting inhibit-splash-screen is the only (and as far as I
      can see not ell documented) way to get back the old behavior, it is
      a (minor) annoyance that inhibit-splash-screen not only turns of the
      splash screen, but the initial message in the *scratch* buffer too.
      Actually I never understood why this two things are configured by
      only one variable.

We could change it not to affect the initial message in *scratch*.
However, if *scratch* is not the initial buffer, is that message
really needed anyway?  Maybe we should just get rid of it.