Re: display-buffer-change

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-change
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:31:20 +0200

> A window-local "unsplittable" flag that I can set could probably help.

Consider using something like `window-unsplittable-p': With David's
example, A and B have the same size and B would be unsplittable.  If
`window-unsplittable-p' is _not_ handled by Fget_largest_window the
latter might return B although A would be a perfect alternative.
`display-buffer' would decide that there's no sutiable largest window,
continue with the LRU one, find out that it can't be split either and
stick to some suboptimal solution.  Hence, `get-largest-window' and
`get-lru-window' would need a third, optional "unsplittable" argument.
That argument would be hardly set by anything but `display-buffer'.

I earlier suggested to use `window-dedicated-p' to make the window
unsplittable because this can be handled by the current code of
Fget_largest_window and Fget_lru_window.  I'd simply have
`display-buffer' call these with the second argument Qnil and be done.
Obviously, the semantics of "dedicatedness" would change.