Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:53:03 -0400

    The way other programs handle this is to (1) display the splash screen
    in a small, floating X window, (2) provide a check box on the splash
    screen saying "Display splash screen on startup" or something similar,
    and (3) a prominent button saying "OK" or similar to dismiss the
    splash screen.

There is no room in a small floating window for the info we
want to present in the splash screen.

As for the box that says "Display splash screen on startup",
we could do something like that.  I agreed to reinstallation
of the "Customize startup" link, given a way to make it fit.
We could replace that with "Don't show this screen again".
If users would like that better, let's make that replacement.

A button to dismiss the splash screen would be fine in principle.
I don't see how there is room for it.  Do you think you see
where it could go?