Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Leo
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:19:14 +0100

On 2007-09-10 18:00 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:

>>     > The way Emacs currently handles the splash screen is completely
>>     > unsatisfactory, because it gives the impression that the splash screen
>>     > is being displayed *instead of* the file specified by the user (and
>>     > thus implies that Emacs is unable to process command line arguments.)
>>
>>     Yes, this looks like a bug, and this is confusing for beginners who don't
>>     know how to turn this behavior off.
>>
>> The best way is: don't specify a file name argument when you start
>> Emacs.  That kind of argument is supported for compatibility with
>> other editors, but it is not the recommended way to use Emacs.
>> Experienced Emacs users generally don't do it anyway.
>
> I often find it convenient to use Emacs with filename arguments.
> Obviously, different people have different usage patterns.
>
> You seem to be arguing that just because *you* don't use a particular
> Emacs feature, it is OK for Emacs to exhibit broken or annoying
> behavior for that feature.

I agree with Chong.

Experienced users don't use startup screen anyway. But we are trying to
make newbies happy.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html