Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:55:18 +0200

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 9/12/07, Bill Wohler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > C-x C-f /sudo::FILE RET
>> > C-x C-f /ssh:SOME_REMOTE_MACHINE:FILE RET
>>
>> Very, very cool, didn't know about that. Why doesn't the help for C-x
>> C-f even hint that this sort of thing is possible? Maybe it can be
>> mentioned on the splash screen for beginners like me.
>
> FWIK, it comes from TRAMP and the info link for TRAMP has it.

But since tramp is built into Emacs 22, there is no sense not
distributing the knowledge further.  One place where it likely would
make sense is the graphical file dialog (which we plaster with
information about how to remove the dialog already).

Or maybe the open file menu tooltip?  While there are people and
systems where it will probably be rarely if ever shown, having the
information there in addition to where else it makes sense could not
be worse than now.

Or we add a menu entry "Open remote/privileged file" which prompts for
method, host, username and after opening leaves a message "Note:
equivalent to C-x C-f /sudo::/etc/host" (and, of course, puts the
right find-file incantation directly into the Lisp command history).

--
David Kastrup