Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:08:57 +0200

>       ... consider other legitimate use cases such as "sudo emacs FILE"
>
>     That is another bad habit.  It is an illegitimate use of the feature.
>
> It is better not to have a root Emacs running all the time.  But each
> time you do need one, you will probably visit multiple files in it.
> So it is still not a good habit to specify file name args.

It is not like specifying file name args would cause Emacs to quit on
its own or do anything awful.

So I utterly disagree with you here.  If I know that I am going to
edit one or more files with certain names when calling Emacs, there is
no gain whatsoever in using C-x C-f instead of just listing the files
on the command line.

It is a bad habit to exit Emacs when one might need it soon.  But
there is nothing to be gained from starting it when one does not
actually need to edit anything.