Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:23:50 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:52:31 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> File name arguments did not implement themselves, you know;
> I specifically wrote the code to implement them, even though I think
> it's a bad habit.
>
> However, the Emacs manual encourages people not to get into that bad
> habit.

I think we should continue to discourage users from getting into this
habit.

But still, if the user did type "emacs FILE", it is IMO bad behavior
to show them the splash screen instead.  It looks like breaking the
contract with the users: they asked us to display the file, not the
splash screen.  The fact that the file is displayed in half the frame,
and the fact that there's a Dismiss button, don't help much, IMO.

There are a few other GUI programs out there which behave like this:
i.e. request me to click some button to make the splash screen go
away.  They always annoy me.

If we don't restore the original Emacs behavior of making the splash
screen go away (which I think we should), at least let's pop it up in
a separate frame, so that it doesn't get in the way of the file the
user asked to edit.