Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:36:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> But still, if the user did type "emacs FILE", it is IMO bad behavior
> to show them the splash screen instead.  It looks like breaking the
> contract with the users: they asked us to display the file, not the
> splash screen.  The fact that the file is displayed in half the frame,
> and the fact that there's a Dismiss button, don't help much, IMO.

Agree 100%.

> There are a few other GUI programs out there which behave like this:
> i.e. request me to click some button to make the splash screen go
> away.  They always annoy me.

Me too -- it is typically those programs which ask you to register
(for no good reason).  I see no reason for Emacs to take that path.

A simple notice in the message area (it may fill more than one line)
when starting emacs with a file name (as someone suggested) seems
fully adequate IMO.

> If we don't restore the original Emacs behavior of making the splash
> screen go away (which I think we should), at least let's pop it up in
> a separate frame, so that it doesn't get in the way of the file the
> user asked to edit.

Only if it can automatically minimize and bury that frame :-)