Re: Problem with text beneath menus

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: Problem with text beneath menus
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:38:34 -0300

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:35:22 -0300
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

emacs -Q

C-x C-f RET

Now, click in 'File' and move horizontally the mouse to the other options (i.e., Edit, Options, Buffers, etc.)

The text beneath menus disappear.
I cannot reproduce this.  What toolkit did you use for building Emacs?
Well, the exact steps I've used are:

$ make maintainer-clean
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/download/emacs &> .CONFIG
$ make bootstrap &> .OUTPUT
$ tail .OUTPUT
$ make install

 From .CONFIG:

  Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

Where should the build process find the source code? /home/vinicius/work/emacs
    What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
          `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
What compiler should emacs be built with? gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign
    Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
        (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
    Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
    Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
    What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
    What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK

So the toolkit is GTK.

Do you still have the previous binary you built from the trunk?  If
so, can you see if perhaps it was built with another toolkit?

I have the previous binary in other PC and it was also built with GTK toolkit.

I've just tried to recompile Emacs CVS trunk in an old PC with Debian (but with KDE 3.5.7) and the result was exactly the same.

Please, try to recompile CVS trunk in Debian (KDE).