Re: Your last change to browse-url is bogus.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Your last change to browse-url is bogus.
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:15:27 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > I tend to agree with Yamamoto-san, because even if the string->string
 > > maps were identical, having the names specify the intended domain
 > > helps with deciding when to apply them at all.
 >
 > I beg to disagree: a function's name and docstring should reflect what the
 > function *does* rather than how it is used.

That's what I said.  I'm a categorist: functions with different
domains are different functions, they do different things even if they
happen to agree on the intersection of their domains.

As for the docstring, we'll have to agree to disagree.  There is no
real cost to having a docstring that warns about improper usage any
more, it's a matter of style.  You prefer a style that assumes that
people only need to be reminded of the arguments; others should refer
to the manual.  I think that's what skeletons etc are for, and prefer
more verbose docstrings, more like Unix man pages in sections 2 and 3.