Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:43:51 +0300

> File name arguments did not implement themselves, you know;
> I specifically wrote the code to implement them, even though I think
> it's a bad habit.
>
> However, the Emacs manual encourages people not to get into that bad habit.

There are cases where starting Emacs with a file name command line argument
is fully justified: for instance, logging into a remote computer only to
fix one config file.  Many users preferred using vi for such tasks because
vi was faster to start.  However, on modern hardware emacs startup time is
comparable to vi.  The only drawback Emacs has for such scenarios is that
unlike vi, Emacs displays the annoying startup screen instead of the
requested file.  After replacing the Emacs startup screen with a message
saying how to get more help, we can win more vi users!

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/