Re: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:28:58 +0200

Glenn Morris skrev:
Of the static uses I identified, five remain. I don't understand why
any of them need to be static, and I'm reluctant to change things I
don't understand. Which is better: leave them in function scope and
delete the `static', or move them to file scope?

Move them to file scope.

On bug-gnu-emacs it was suggested in "emacs-22.1 with GTK problems (with patches)" that this in s/hpux.h:

/* USG systems tend to put everything declared static
   into the initialized data area, which becomes pure after dumping Emacs.
   Foil this.  Emacs carefully avoids static vars inside functions.  */

#define static

be removed, as it seems to interfere with threading. How does that relate to the work you are doing?

        Jan D.

fringe.c (init_fringe_bitmap) <swap_nibble>
gtkutil.c (xg_separator_p) <separator_names>
image.c  (our_memory_fill_input_buffer) <buffer>
         (gif_load) <interlace_start, interlace_increment>