Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:04:57 -0400

>> However, it S-left and left is the same in 'C-h k', how can I bind them
>> to different commands?
> They are different, you can bind them just fine. I don't remember the
> explanation why is C-h k showing them like that.

C-h k shows the "raw data" as well as the "final event".  It doesn't show
all the intermediate steps.  In this case one of the steps is to turn the
escape sequence into S-left, and another step turns `S-left' into `left'
(because Emacs always tried to unshift a key to find a binding in case
where the shifted version has no binding).

I.e. under X11 where the "raw data" is already a `S-left', C-h k shows:

   <left> (translated from <S-left>) runs the command backward-char

-- Stefan