Re: frame-with-environment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-with-environment
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:17:00 -0400

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]
> What is the reason for the function `frame-with-environment'?

IIUC this is meant to simulate terminal-local settings.  The multi-tty code
wants to keep the environment of its clients for various uses (mostly to
find the TERM, TERMCAP as well as the DISPLAY setting and a bunch of
others).  It could keep it in a terminal-local variable, but for some reason
it stores it in the terminal's frames instead.  I suppose one of the reason
is that it wants/needs to distinguish between various clients that run on
the same terminal (not sure here how this shows up, but maybe if you start
"emacsclient -t" then suspend that with C-z and start another
"emacsclient -t" in the same terminal; or maybe under X11 if you have
several frames, some of which are linked to one `emacsclient' invocation
and others are linked to some other or to no client at all).

        Stefan