Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:25:05 +0200

>     # grep foo /etc/apache/httpd.conf
>
>     I find that that's what I'm looking for, and I type
>
>     # emacs M-.
>
> That is something an advanced user will do occasionally.
> Advanced users can easily turn off the splash screen.

Advanced shell users are not automatically advanced Emacs users.

> (I didn't know about the shell key M-.  I expect to use it,
> tho not for invoking Emacs.)
>
> There are nonetheless beginners who habitually run Emacs with a file
> name argument, and would never see the splash screen if it only
> appeared with no argument.  The reason I made that change is that I
> discovered this phenomenon.

That's why I proposed announcing it with a message or tooltip that
persists for a while but does not keep the user from actually working.

Anyway, I think we have more to gain from educating the people who
stick with Emacs (and thus will at one point of time get to see the
splash screen) rather than the people who try it a few times and then
give up in disgust.