Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:27:10 +0200

>     I find that that's what I'm looking for, and I type
>
>     # emacs M-.
>
> That is something an advanced user will do occasionally.
> Advanced users can easily turn off the splash screen.

This is something I do when sysadmining.  I'd have to alter root's
.emacs file on all the 80+ GNU Linux machines we have here to get rid of
the splash screen.

I just feel that this change is kinda annoying, and I think it's going
to be annoying (and confusing) for lots of people who have a similar
usage pattern.  (I.e., people who don't use Emacs for programming or
writing big texts, but people who ssh to a machine, do a tiny tweak to a
specific file, and then log out again.  Which is typical when doing
sysadmin tasks.)

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen