Re: incorrect button highlighting

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: incorrect button highlighting
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 02:20:20 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> No put the mouse over one of the 2 buttons that appear, and both will
> be shown using the custom-button-pressed face instead of just the one
> that is under the mouse cursor.

I think this is a documented limitation of the widget library. From
the "User Interface" section of the widget manual:

    *Warning:* In an `editable-field' widget, the editable field must
    not be adjacent to another widget--that won't work. You must put
    some text in between. Either make this text part of the
    `editable-field' widget itself, or insert it with `widget-insert'.

Admittedly, I don't really see that your example is an "editable
field" one, but if you try:

(require 'cus-edit)
(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer "*Widget Example*")
  (set (make-local-variable 'widget-button-pressed-face) custom-button-pressed)
  (widget-create 'push-button
                 :tag "prev"
                 :help-echo "prev"
                 :tag-glyph "prev-node"
                 :action (lambda (widget &optional e) (ding)))
  (insert " ")
  (widget-create 'push-button
                 :tag "next"
                 :help-echo "next"
                 :tag-glyph "next-node"
                 :action (lambda (widget &optional e) (ding)))
  (widget-setup))

M-x foo

then it works ok if you insert a space between the two widgets, but
not if you don't.