Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:29:44 +0200

> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:28:24 +0200
> From: "Chris Moore" <address@hidden>
>
> So shouldn't jka-compr look for the magic strings, and identify
> gzipped files that way?

It would be a performance hit: Emacs will need to open a file and read
its first bytes just to know what to do with it.  Then it will need to
close the file and reopen it again (or else jump through the hoops to
keep the first several bytes around for the second attempt).

I say, as long as we need to add a few more extensions, let's do that
and be done.