Re: linum and AUCTeX: line number face

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: linum and AUCTeX: line number face
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:54:07 +0200

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:57:02 +0200 Stephan Hennig <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman schrieb:
[...]
>> I don't know just which other faces behave like default and which
>> like shadow (though the face (not just the weight) bold seems to
>> inherit even more attributes than shadow), nor do I know why there is
>> this difference.
>
> Hm, could it be that 'default' in general refers to a specific font
> whereas 'shadow' doesn't (Font Family is *)?  I agree that 'shadow'
> shouldn't be an explicit face definition, but modify "what's already
> there", e.g., change a property of text set in default face.  But
> inheriting font-locking related properties (and only for /some/ fonts)
> is bad, IMHO.  Are there means to toggle that behaviour?

I don't know exactly what (inheriting from) default means with respect
to faces.  But in any case, a specific font doesn't have color
attributes, yet the default foreground (on a light background) is
black, and as you observed in another post, explicitly setting the
foreground to black shows the problem.  I'm convinced this is a bug,
though I have no idea just what causes it.

>> But I do know that this has to do generally with display properties
>> and display margins, not just with linum.el.
>
> I guess, I've never met those 'display margins' before.  Could you
> please give a hint about what you're speaking to somebody not so good at
> managing Emacs (yet)?

The left display margin (by default to the left of the left fringe) is
where you see the line numbers in linum-mode (starting with version
0.9a).  For info type `C-h i RET m elisp m Display Property' and from
there `m Display Margins'.

Steve Berman