Re: un-deprecating CL

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: un-deprecating CL
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:29:53 -0400

    > It is added complexity that we don't need.  To add them to standard
    > Emacs Lisp functions would call for documenting them with great
    > importance.

    But defcustom, make-hash-table, define-derived-mode,
    make-network-process, etc all use keyword arguments as far as I can
    tell.

That's not cogent.  The fact that one part of the system is complex is
no reason to make another part unnecessarily complex.

If you want to understand my decision, the crucial point is that I consider
the complexity of these functions a negative.

    It isn't clear to me what you mean by "documenting them with great
    importance."

We would have to spend a lot of text and attention on documenting them
if they were in such a central place in the language.