Re: build error

From: d.henman
Subject: Re: build error
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:49:22 +0900

Angelo,
  thanks for the information.  I downloaded the latest gcc, gcc-4.2-20070905
and was able to build up to my last  .../net/tramp problem, as of today.

  I also learned who to get cvs code for a specific date downloaed.  I was able
to get my last successfull built, June 17, downloaded again.

Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> wrote:
> d.henman wrote:
> > Fatal error (6)/bin/sh: line 4:  3088 Aborted (core dumped)
> This happens often in bootstrapping Emacs on Cygwin!
> My experience is that it does not depend on GCC version.
>
> Some time changing the build directory helps. For exaple, instead of
>   /tmp/emacs/build
>
> one can tries
>   /tmp/tmp1/tmp2/.../emacs/build

I understand whay you are saying, but Gnu tools shouldn't be so fickle.
I've never had to build in a different directory, but I am now using a
....cvs/emacs/build-dir to do it, thinking it will be usefull to keep
object files seperate from source files.  But, I don't see much merit in it yet.

> Other times, bootstrapping from an X-shell (xterm, urxvt) instead that
> from the DOS-like shell (cygwin.bat), helps.
Again, this should not be a pre-requisite, cygwin is posix compliant.  But, you
never know...  I use Putty.  But, these are just shells and the Gnu autotools
should not
be affected by it, but maybe they are.  This is possible concering coding
systems possibly.

> Obviously also updating CVS source helps!
Yes.  There is no problem there.

> For example, I am currently observing this: building Emacs with window.c,
> cus-start.el dated Sep. 7 works fine from all Cygwin shells, starting
> emacs 'emacs -nw'. But using the current version of those files gives
>
>   Fatal error (6)/bin/sh: ... Aborted ...
This problem has gone away..   At least for today's cvs for me, be it a code
correction or the newest gcc-4.2-20070905 built compiler.

> starting emacs -nw from the DOS-like shell.

I still get the tramp related build error.  Which I hope to find out why.

> The fact is that the cited version of window.c differ only in spaces (a
> different style of formatting the text) while cus-start.el are IDENTICAL!

If so the program causing the probelem is not properly robust and needs to be
corrected.  Hardcoding a count of whitespace is not, in my book, is not a good
thing to do.

> This is the life of Emacs on Cygwin!
>
>    Angelo.

Indeed.  But, cygwin tries very hard to be posix compliant.  It may be that
some items of new emacs tries to use no posix compliant code, until found, by
... well you and I and others...  And also different versions of automake tools
would have an effect
 on build processes.

Thanks Again,
  Darel Henman