Re: 23.0.50; Tramp blocks Emacs when unconnected to server

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Tramp blocks Emacs when unconnected to server
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:29:25 +0200

"Martin Lüthi" <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael

Hi Martin,

[I still keep emacs-devel CC, for traceability]

> Here is the full backtrace (sorry, if it got truncated). Interestingly
> enough I cannot reproduce the error now. Maybe sleeping is involved, too.

I cannot find anything in the backtrace which helps. Locally (I'm @home
meanwhile) I cannot reproduce the problem either. When I disable WLAN, I
can kill a buffer containing a remote file without problems, given the
buffer is not marked "modified".

When the buffer is not saved yet, Tramp runs indeed into a loop during
write operations when the network connection is broken. I'll try to find
a way that Tramp detects it (it must be performant). This will not be so
easy, because ssh tends to keep the connection for a while. And it is
not predictable what kind of timer inside Emacs we could set; it depends
on the length of the string being sent to the remote host, and on the
quality (throughput) of the connection.

However, this is different from the problem you did report.

Best regards, Michael.