Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:52:26 +0200

> I don't think an echo area message can do the job, because there
> is not enough room.

Really?  Something like this would be quite sufficient IMVHO.

(if menu-bar-mode
    (message
"Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of the GNU/Linux system.
Please view \"About Emacs\" and \"About GNU\" on the Help menu.

Use the Help menu to try out the Emacs Tutorial, view the Emacs Manuals,
copying instructions, how to order printed copies of manuals and much more.

GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  See Help > (Non)Warranty.

To quit a partially entered command, type Control-g.
Use Control-x Control-c To exit Emacs")
  (message
"Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of the GNU/Linux system.
Type Control-g to quit a command.  Control-x Control-c to Exit.

Type C-h C-t to try out the Emacs Tutorial, C-h r to view the Emacs Manuals,
C-h C-h for a list of other help topics including copying instructions
and how to order printed copies of manuals.

GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  See C-h C-w."))

> An extra level of indirection would be far
> less effective.

I don't follow.

> The idea of popping up two frames seems worth trying.
> Would someone like to try it?

I would find that exteremely annoying.
And I don't see how it can work with -nw mode.