Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:59:09 -0700

Following on Lars example, *any* command which uses EDITOR or VISUAL
or DISPLAY will run "emacs <file>".

Or, consider running "emacs file -f do-something-with-current-buffer".
The do-something-with-current-buffer function would rather operate on
`file' than the splash screen.

> I won't give in to bullying, so you may as well stop it.

Perhaps you can suggest how we can persuade you. Sheer numbers and
overwhelming counter-examples do not seem to be enough: Only two
people on this list do not think that "emacs <file>" is as legitimate
as "emacs" in the first place, which is the root of the problem.

A splash screen that occludes the work that a beginner wants to do
will only confuse them, annoy long-time Emacs users, and break things
as noted above. A separate frame or tooltip (with a Don't show me this
again checkbox or other clear way to stop it) or a line or two in the
minibuffer in a tty or not at all with the -nw option would be fine
alternatives.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD