Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:49:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> - if there was a filename given, keep displaying the startup buffer
>   for, say, 2 seconds: not enough for someone to read it, but enough
>   to recognize it as a splash screen.

I don't think having a non-readable startup buffer would help, even if
the new user is able to recognize it as a startup buffer.

> - then display a "persistent" message in the echo-area about how to
>   get back to the startup buffer.

I like the persistent message in the echo-area solution *very much*.

We could also consider having *several messages*, each of them being
displayed for a few seconds (say 2).

It is the best trade-off I can think of:

- it lets Emacs display a file when given as an argument;
- it lets Emacs display *all* the information you want;
- it catches the attention of the new users more efficiently.

--
Bastien