Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:28:07 +0200

Fullscreen on Gnome is done as specified by the extended window manager hints. Thst is, Emacs just tells the window manager, "make me fullscreen/height/width", and the windowmanager does what it sees fit.

However, you can request fullscreen or fullwidth+height. These may be interpreted differently by the window manager, even if the spec says it should not.

Tom Tromey skrev:
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I recently wrote an elisp program which resized a frame using the size
parameter 'fullscreen' with a value of 'fullboth'.

This resized the frame to fill the entire screen.  The window manager
frame was not visible, and the Gnome panel was obscured.

Reading the docs, I can see how this is probably the planned behavior.
However, I was expecting it to act more like maximizing the window
using the window manager (where the window manager frame and the panel
would remain visible).  I couldn't think of a situation where I would
want the current behavior.

Gtk provides an API, gtk_window_maximize, which I think Emacs should
use and which I think should provide my desired behavior.  If changing
'fullboth' is undesirable, perhaps a new value for 'fullscreen' could
be added.

gtk_window_maximize does what Emacs already does. It can't be used when Emacs is not compiled with Gtk+, so there is no point in doing so.

        Jan D.