Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:56:28 -0600

Jan> Fullscreen on Gnome is done as specified by the extended window
Jan> manager hints. Thst is, Emacs just tells the window manager, "make me
Jan> fullscreen/height/width", and the windowmanager does what it sees fit.

Yeah, that much I still remember from my X days :-)

Jan> However, you can request fullscreen or fullwidth+height.  These may be
Jan> interpreted differently by the window manager, even if the spec says
Jan> it should not.

Jan> gtk_window_maximize does what Emacs already does.  It can't be used
Jan> when Emacs is not compiled with Gtk+, so there is no point in doing
Jan> so.

There is still a difference in behavior between Emacs and other Gtk
apps.

If I eval (make-frame '((fullscreen . fullboth))), it takes up the
entire screen, hiding the panel.

However, when I run the roughly equivalent pygtk program which calls
'window.maximize()', I get the results I expect -- a maximized window
where I can see the wm decorations and which does not hide the panel.

So, even if calling gtk_window_maximize is pointless, there is still
an Emacs bug.

Or, at the very least, a missing Emacs feature.  I did manage to think
of a reason that the current behavior might be desirable: if I was
using a presentation tool in Emacs (EPT), I might want this behavior.
However, that is a specialized use; more frequently I would want plain
Gtk-style "maximize".

Tom