Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:12:47 +0300

>           So, I find the X based splash screen not to be an annoyance; but
>      I do find the emacs -nw splash screen deficient.
>
> We can turn off the splash screen on ttys when file arguments are
> specified.  Would someone like to implement that?

Done.

The splash screen is turned off on ttys, as well as after starting Emacs
with command line options "-f", "-funcall", "-e", "-eval", "-execute",
"-insert", "-find-file", "-file", "-visit", because beginners don't start
Emacs with these arguments.  So now Emacs displays the startup screen
only when started with a file name like "emacs FILE..." on a window system.

This required to change the echo area startup message from

For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p.

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

where C-h C-a is used to display the About screen which contains links
to the description of the GNU project, GNU/Linux operating system
and other help information.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/