Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:52:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:11:59 +0300
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> >     I have not checked the latest version but I agree that any "Dismiss in
>> >     future" should only affect the splash screen when file names are given
>> >     on the command line.
>> >
>> > I agree.  And the "don't show this in the future" should only be
>> > shown when there are file name args.
>> >
>> > Would someone please implement that?
>>
>> Done.
>
> What about the demonstration of concept in the patch below?  I think
> popping the splash screen in a separate frame is superior to dividing
> the initial frame, and doing so makes all kinds of complications with
> "concise" splash screen and whether splash should be in upper or lower
> window, a non-issue.  IIRC, Richard agreed to the idea of a separate
> frame.

Two frames always imply a fight: the window manager will try to find
places for them and decide on how to focus them.  Getting a separate
window tamed is the matter of C-x 0 or C-x 1.  In contrast, C-x 5 0 or
C-x 5 1 will leave one with a window configuration that might be worse
than if just one frame would have been placed.

With my personal geometry settings, not more than one Emacs frame per
workspace is really usable.