Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:20:17 -0400

> Two frames always imply a fight: the window manager will try to find
> places for them and decide on how to focus them.  Getting a separate
> window tamed is the matter of C-x 0 or C-x 1.  In contrast, C-x 5 0 or
> C-x 5 1 will leave one with a window configuration that might be worse
> than if just one frame would have been placed.

>From all the discussions I've ever had with Emacs beginners, the need to
learn and master window-manipulation is one of the main sources of
difficulty in Emacs: most of the rest can be done in typically obvious ways
(now that we have menus and that arrows are sufficiently standard that
almost nobody needs to first learn C-p, C-n).  But once you have
a split-window display, it's not straightforward to a newbie how to get back
to the single-window he's used to (the simplest way is probably "File ->
Remove Splits").  In contrast getting rid of a second frame is easy: just
click in the `X' in top corner of your window(frame).

        Stefan