RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:43:14 -0700

As I said:

> let 'em wander the Info Desert without water in search of
> h o w   t o   t u r n   i t   o f f.
>
> That'll teach 'em to quickly come of age and metamorphose out of
> their larval noobness. Only the first of many holy GNU grails:
> Try to banish the splash! Just try it. And certainly not a hint
> about it in the Tutorial.

Of course I was only kidding. Now we've taken it to a whole new level,
rivaling Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game): Find the
tutorial and follow it until you graduate and you know how to come back and
remove the nag window. A "good opportunity", indeed. Of course there's a
risk that a few new users might just go postal...

Keep it up; this is entertaining (and it's bad luck to stop the thread!).

BTW, Stefan, bravo for braving the anti-rodent throng:

> In contrast getting rid of a second frame is easy: just
> click in the `X' in top corner of your window(frame).

Click? You mean with a mmm mm m m o u s e ?

[Disclaimer: This is in no way an endorsement of having a separate splash
frame. My opinion on this topic is irrelevant anyway, having been foreclosed
by RMS's position. FWIW (nothing), I am in favor of putting helpful links to
learning on the Help menu (where they are already), and showing the GNU info
only in the About Emacs menu item, where people expect to find that sort of
thing. I'm generally not in favor of splash/nag screens at startup, but if
we must have one, then I'm in favor of a show-no-more checkbox (always and
for everyone). One person's helpful suggestion is another person's annoying
nag. There, I'll say no more about this.]