Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:48:24 +0900

This is a one-off suggestion to emacs-devel, and y'all can do what you
want to with it.  Reply-To set to xemacs-beta where I plan to follow up.

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > Two frames always imply a fight: the window manager will try to find
 > > places for them and decide on how to focus them.  Getting a separate
 > > window tamed is the matter of C-x 0 or C-x 1.  In contrast, C-x 5 0 or
 > > C-x 5 1 will leave one with a window configuration that might be worse
 > > than if just one frame would have been placed.

The important implication of this is that window manager or init file
settings might leave the splash screen obscured.  That's not what
Richard wants.  David's particular configuration is not a big deal
(except to him), given the goal of this decision, but the complexity
of getting the splash screen on top is.

 > But once you have a split-window display, it's not straightforward
 > to a newbie how to get back to the single-window he's used to

So how about giving them a [X] in the divider?  This lack is a UI bug
independent of the splash spiel.