RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:33:18 -0700

> So how about giving them a [X] in the divider?  This lack is a UI bug
> independent of the splash spiel.

I was almost going to suggest that, or something similar: Add an `X' button
to (all) mode lines at the far right, which when clicked would delete the
window. Did you mean something like that (but just for the startup display)?

But I remembered that we already have `mouse-3' on the mode-line bound to
`mouse-delete-window'. Although it's true that a new user might try to click
(mouse-1?) on the `X' and s?he might not think to use `mouse-3'. Then again,
a user might never notice the `X' or figure out what it's for.

All told, I'd say we would be going overboard with such a thing, especially
just to compensate for startup complexity that is (IMO) unnecessary.

If it's a frame with the window-manager frame-delete button that users are
already familiar with, OK, but there is no sense trying to do that for a
startup Emacs window, IMO. We are now getting into the realm of adding stuff
to patch up an already overly complicated startup.

But keep this thread rolling...