Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:22:47 +0300

>> However, when pop-up-frames is non-nil, it would be very annoying to
>> insist on creating a separate frame.  For instance, I use the full-screen
>> single frame configuration which doesn't work with a separate startup frame.
>
> You forget that you are not the target of this feature.  Those who are
> probably won't customize pop-up-frames without also customizing away
> the splash screen.
>
> As for other technical arguments against the separate frame: we have
> enough means in Emacs, I think, to force the splash screen to the
> foreground.

As I understand, there are two goals (not necessarily contradicting)
we are trying to achieve now:

1. Bring the information about Emacs and the GNU project to beginners
   in a way that is hard to miss.
2. Do this in a way that makes no harm to non-beginners.

Creating a separate foreground frame is very annoying since you
need to move the mouse pointer to the [X] button and click on it
before you can start editing a file specified in the command line.
And this feature requires significant efforts and tests to display
a separate frame correctly with different window managers and
configurations.  What a thankless work would be to implement a feature
that will annoy many users.

However, I'm sure this is not how most beginners run Emacs.  Nowadays
most beginners select the Emacs icon from the program menu provided
by the desktop environment, and starting Emacs without command line
arguments already does what you want: it displays a separate single
Emacs frame with the startup screen inside.  So I think we have nothing
to bother about now.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/