Re: messages override minibuffer input

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:08:12 +0200

On Sun Sep 23 2007 Richard Stallman wrote:
>     My knowledge is limited when it can happen that messages can
>     override minibuffer input. Initially, I thought only of messages
>     from asynchronous processes like timer functions. Then I realized
>     that messages can also show up that refer to my current minibuffer
>     input.
>
> In cases like this, the echo area message disappears after a
> few seconds, or whenever you type another character.  So I think
> those are not a problem.  Why do you consider that a problem?

It is true that a message like "Mismatched parentheses" disappears
again after a few seconds.

Yet quite generally, it confuses me when I type something and
suddenly the text I have typed disappears. Even when the message
disappears again when I continue typing, a smooth work flow requires
that I know the last character I typed before the message appeared
so that I know where to continue typing while something else is
displayed.

However, minibuffer input is often more complicated (for example, a
regexp), i.e., I do need the visual feedback that I see what I have
typed and even a temporary message "Mismatched parentheses" annoys me.
(If I try to pay attention to the message overwriting the
minibuffer, I will definitely forget how to continue typing.)

> What about the timer case?  Does the message disappear after
> a few seconds, or whenever you type another character?

In the timer case the message does not disappear by itself after a
few seconds, i.e., it is always necessary to continue typing
blindly.

Roland