RE: generate 1) virtual index

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: generate 1) virtual index
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:43:53 -0700

> > 1. It would be useful to have an Info command, say bound to
> > `I', that would do for index lookup what `L' (Info-history)
> > does for chronological navigation. You would type a regexp,
> > and it would show you a buffer similar
> > to the `Recently Visited Nodes' buffer of `L'.
> >
> > That buffer would have a list of all index entries that matched
> > your regexp. As in the existing manual indexes, it would have
> > both the index entry (a link) and the name of the node it
> > occurs in. IOW, it would be a virtual index, based on your input.
>
> Since it was proposed in
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00454.html
>
> instead of implementing `Info-index-occur' I arrived to a different
> command name: `info-apropos-current-file'.  I don't know if this is
> a better name, but by its functionality this command is very similar
> to `info-apropos' that works only on the current Info file.

I'm not sure, but I think we are saying the same or similar things. Is that
right? I had forgotten your proposal cited in the link above, but it seems
about the same. Is there a difference or something additional that you are
saying?

Anyway, IIUC, I am comfortable with what I think you're suggesting. You too
seem to be saying that it would be good to have a command that accepted a
regexp and built a buffer of matching index entries (links) and their node
descriptions.