RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:44:06 -0700

>     I was almost going to suggest that, or something similar: Add
>     an `X' button to (all) mode lines at the far right, which
>     when clicked would delete the window.
>
> This is a good idea, in a general way, but I have one concern.
> Normally the X to close a window is at the TOP right corner.
> If there is an X at the right on a mode line, I think users
> might suppose it refers to the window below it.  Then when
> it instead deletes the window above the mode line, they
> will be surprised.

That is a good point. I don't see a way around that potential gotcha. The
good news is that the damage from user error is not great, and we would all
learn quickly ;-).

Some window managers (at least used to) put the `X' (or equivalent icon) at
the frame upper left instead of the upper right. But that would not be
appropriate anyway for a mode-line.

Question: Are we discussing this as a possible addition or a possible
replacement for the `mouse-3' mode-line binding? If that binding is
replaced, I agree with someone's suggestion that `Delete Window' should be
added to a mode-line `mouse-3' context menu.

An `X' button has the disadvantages that (1) in a narrow window it might not
be visible (or else it might occlude other mode-line info) and (2) it
requires more precise mouse positioning than simply clicking the mode-line
(e.g. to choose from a menu of actions). If the `X' is in addition to some
other mouse means of deleting the window, then it is OK. If it is a
replacement (no `mouse-3' and no context menu item), then I think it is not
adequate.