Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Didier Verna
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:06:41 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Drew Adams writes:
>
>  > > So how about giving them a [X] in the divider?  This lack is a UI bug
>  > > independent of the splash spiel.
>  >
>  > I was almost going to suggest that, or something similar: Add an
>  > `X' button to (all) mode lines at the far right,
>
> That's pretty much what I'm suggesting.  An alternative would be a
> grip that could be dragged until the smaller window disappeared, at
> which point the modeline itself would go *poof*.

  Note that you can already resize windows by dragging modelines, so
it's a matter of a threshold on window-height before closing one. But
anyway, I'm not sure this is really needed. If you happen to be unaware
of the C-x 0/1 bindings, I find it quite natural to go to the View menu
and get what you're looking for. This is pretty much compliant with what
Windows or Mac users would expect from a well behaving GUI.

>  > But I remembered that we already have `mouse-3' on the mode-line bound to
>  > `mouse-delete-window'.

   That is such an awful binding BTW ! At least, this menu could be a
sub-part of every contextual menu popped up by Mouse-3 in *windows*, and
mouse-3 on the modeline should pop up a modeline specific
contextual-menu.

> After all, what is an Emacs frame but a tiled window manager?  We
> should present it that way to the user.

  Actually, Emacs windows are an obsolete concept that today brings us
nothing but additional and unwanted complexity. There should be no
windows. There should be only frames, and if you like the tiling effect,
then Emacs should kindly ask the window manager to place and size its
frames exactly where and how Emacs wants them to be placed and sized.

--
New @-quartet featured CD Review !!
http://www.indie-music.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6457

Didier Verna, address@hidden, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-BicĂȘtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   address@hidden