Re: generate 2) other pages for Info

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: generate 2) other pages for Info
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:27:30 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> | searched              | found                | manual                    |
>> |-----------------------+----------------------+---------------------------|
>> | Add a ChangeLog entry | add-change-log-entry | (info "(emacs)Change Log) |
>>
>> (This is actually what I'm trying to use inside my org-mode file.)
>
> After 10 years of using Emacs, this index will become so huge that it
> will be unusable, I'm pretty sure.

The user could keep such a history till he feels himself confident
enough to get rid of it.

>> The main job of the personal help manager would be to be able to find
>> these synonyms. I guess different people would use different synonyms
>> sets (not mentionning language-dependant issues).
>
> We could collect those synonyms for them (we actually do that today,
> in the index entries we place in the manual, please take a look).

I have, and this is great.

The good thing about a user-based help history is that it lets you store
erroneous search paths. There is no place for search errors inside the
standard documentation, even by using fuzzy matching of synonyms.

I found out that, not being able to find the correct answer is often a
matter of putting the query in the wrong words, and chances are very
little that these wrong words are synonyms of the a relevant query.

--
Bastien