Re: TAB for non-editing modes

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: TAB for non-editing modes
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:56:27 -0700

  >     Why not? I'd rather have TAB run dired-next-line instead of throwing
  >     an error "Buffer is read-only" as it does now.
  >
  > I don't see much of an advantage in making TAB synonymous with SPC.

AFAICT there are 4 operations in dired that have a semantic that means
something like "move to some some other element" (which is what modern
GUIs do with TAB when not used in an editing context):

        dired-next-line
        dired-next-dirline
        dired-next-subdir
        dired-next-marked-file

Which one do you think would be the best to bind to TAB? Can you see a
better binding?

Again, users nowadays expect TAB to do something useful. IMHO it would
be better for users for us to offer some functionality for TAB in
dired instead of doing nothing, that does not help anyone.