Re: TAB when the region is active

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: TAB when the region is active
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:50:50 -0400

> The last three are special cases of `fill-region' that are rarely used.
> They can be invoked exactly as now, i.e. with M-x fill-region-as-paragraph
> RET

Actually I rarely if ever use fill-region whereas I use
fill-region-as-paragraph much more often.  Typically the way this works is
that fill-paragraph doesn't do the right thing, so I use
fill-region-as-paragraph to tell Emacs exactly which part of the text
should be considered as a paragraph.

This is even worse with fill-region because while fill-paragraph can be
tuned via fill-paragraph-function, fill-region is 100% hard coded and the
major can't do anything about it.  This is actually a bug, IMNSHO, which I'd
like to fix by introducing fill-paragraph-forward-function whose value would
default to forward-paragraph.

        Stefan