Re: messages override minibuffer input

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:43:27 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 05:54:44PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> If we put such messages at the end, that may cause the minibuffer
> to grow by a line.  Would you find that disturbing?
>
> If not, perhaps the thing to do is to put the message below the
> current input, always growing the minibuffer.  Or put the message
> above the minibuffer contents.  What would you think of that?

Growing is not smooth.  If you grow to the top, the above line distracts you
if you normally read text from top to bottom.  If you grow to the bottom, the
original minibuffer line where you currently type in moves one line up.  So I
would prefer to avoid growing the minibuffer whenever possible.  If the
content wraps, then growing to the bottom as it is right now, is okay.

A clean solution would be, to have messages concerning your current input
(Mismatched parenthesis, ...) appear at the end of the minibuffer in brackets.
Other messages from timers and such go to *Messages* and if you are finished
typing in the minibuffer, you will get a (message "New stuff in *Messages*")
for exapmle.

How does that sound, disregarding implementation details? :)

        Hannes

--
3BD8 AF56 11AF 205C 9DB6  B10F 76F1 0634 71A4 DCA0